Intellectual property (IP) is the backbone of the corporate world. IP licensing is a vital component of business strategy as it is a frequently used means of exploitation of IP. Licensing of IP rights is an effective tool for achieving various business goals including starting, innovating and expanding business. Licensing helps an enterprise to commercialise its IP or expand its operations into new markets more effectively and with greater ease than on its own. However, IP licensing is a delicate and complex process, with massive risks involved. CIRC, along with CUTS International, have been actively engaged in IP research and policy matters for many years and work towards building capacity in this area through their expertise.
This course is a complete guide to IP licensing, from concepts, strategies and process to management for all types of IP rights in India. The practical knowledge through this course will contribute to more effective licensing of IP which is at the base of numerous business practices like technology transfer, merchandising, franchising, software licensing, etc. This course aims at equipping the participants with the practical and applied aspects of IP licensing so that it is helpful for them to license and manage IP efficiently.
What do you learn?
- Understand the need and importance IP Licensing.
- Learn why IP licensing is important to business
- IP licensing strategies
- Negotiating IP licensing deal.
- Preparing an IP license agreement.
- Managing IP licensing agreement.
- Online reading material is provided that includes concepts and case studies.
- Webinars for new developments
- Online examination for assessment
What is unique about this course?
- Drafting actual agreements on IP licensing
- Covering concepts ancillary to IP licensing, such as franchising, technology transfer agreements, software licensing etc.
- Quizzes at the end of each module for self-assessment
Who should take this course:
- Practicing lawyers
- Law students
- Science graduates (Biotech, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Life Sciences, Botany)
- Management personnel
- In-house lawyers
- Academicians studying in the field of IPR
- Any working professional desirous of gaining practical knowledge of IPR
- Law firms
- Think tanks
- Patent LPOs
- Tech companies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Senior advocates
- Law colleges
How do our students benefit?
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) are pivotal to the development of any business venture, from established businesses to fledgling start-ups. In other countries, IP is also used as an intangible asset and a means for obtaining loans, as a collateral and as a means to entice venture capitalists into investing in smaller companies. Naturally, many Indian companies have slowly started exploring the aspect of using IP as an asset and as a result have started licensing their IP to other companies. Given the growth potential in the structure of IP licensing and the specific skillset involved in this area of practice, our students shall benefit from this course by understanding the business related aspects of IP licensing, including drafting licensing agreements, franchising, technology transfer, merchandising, software licensing etc. For students with a legal background, this proves to be extremely useful as many law firms undertake the task of drafting such agreements for firms wishing to license their IP. Engineers and science graduates desirous of pursuing a career in IPR can also benefit from this. Professionals already working in the IP sector would find this course helpful as it explains the lesser known aspects of IPR in a simplified manner, which would help them in advising a client better. This course would also be extremely beneficial to entrepreneurs or corporate executive that are looking to engage in IP licensing.